1. Free enterprise and the right to private property turn mankind's natural self interest into the fairest and most productive economic system there is, and are the key to national prosperity.
2. It is the government’s responsibility to be sure everyone has health care and a livable income.
3. The United States must maintain a nuclear arsenal that is safe, reliable, modern and numerically superior to those of potential adversaries.
4. Government should enforce laws designed to protect the border and to prevent illegal entry into the country.
5. The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) should be repealed by Congress.
6. Human life begins at conception and deserves legal protection at every stage until natural death.
7. Marriage is a union of one man and one woman. No government has the authority to alter this definition.
8. Efforts to bring Islamic law (shariah) to America do not pose a threat to our country and its Constitution.
9. Judeo-Christian values established a framework of morality which permitted our system of limited government.
10. Governments should pay to develop wind and solar energy solutions when these are not economically feasible.
11. More restrictive gun control laws are needed to protect public safety.
12. The founders established pure democracy in the Constitution because they believed that it is the best form of government to ensure the safety and equitable treatment of all citizens.
13. People should be able to vote without photo identification.
14. What in the nature of mankind caused America’s Founders to carefully define, separate, and limit powers in the Constitution?
Mankind's greedy and capricious behaviors in violation of our neighbors and friends caused our founders to question great concentrations of power. For this reason they designed a system of checks, balances and constitutional enumerated powers. History and reality have shown that unfortunately our constitution was not enough to restrain mankind's lust for power over others.
15. Briefly list three (3) political or legislative issues of most concern to you, and explain why each is important to you.
I believe that the United States is in dire need of greater economic growth. Free enterprise focused policies are the way to achieve the kind of growth that helps all of our citizens. This is accomplished by: repealing Obamacare; reform of the federal tax code for a flatter, fairer system; and unleashing the beast of domestic energy production by opening up more federal land. I have seen too many middle class people lose out their dreams due to tough and hopeless job market. While increased economic growth will produce jobs, we need to build a strong middle class future that brings growth to those of us that did not go to college. Skilled middle class labor is the key, and this comes by: greater support for commercial trade schools through greater access to accreditation; increasing the number of scholarships for skilled trades; and increasing domestic energy production with skilled labor and lowering energy prices to help everyone's bottom line.
16. Should abortion be allowed under extenuating circumstances? If so, what circumstances?
I believe that abortion is a serious question that should be decided by voters of individual states and their legislatures, not by Judges. I am personally opposed to the practice. Abortion should be permitted in circumstances when it can save the life of the child or mother, and due to other deeply serious personal issues such as rape, incest or child abuse. Again Individual states should regulate abortion as they see fit, Roe v Wade was wrongly decided, federal interference into family decisions is unnecessary.
17. Based on the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, please arrange the following entities, starting with the highest source of authority, and continue the list in descending order of authority, skipping any that do not apply: Academia, Congress, Constitution, God, Industry, Media, Professional Sports, Supreme Court, Voters.
God, Constitution, Voters, Supreme Court, Congress
18. Briefly describe your spiritual beliefs and values.
I am an adult convert to Christianity, and I take great comfort and joy in scripture and being a humble servant of the Lord. My life has taken some interesting turns, and had some ups and downs, but the serenity and lasting happiness that comes from a relationship with God is my anchor in an ever changing world. I credit the ministry team at Christ Church East Bay in Oakland for helping me with my spiritual instruction.