1. Free enterprise and the right to private property turn mankind's natural self interest into the fairest and most productive economic system there is, and is the key to national prosperity.
2. Government should enforce laws designed to protect the border and to prevent illegal entry of persons into the country.
3. It is the government’s responsibility to be sure everyone has health care and a livable income.
4. Human life begins at conception and deserves legal protection at every stage until natural death.
5. Marriage is a union of one man and one woman. No government has the authority to alter this definition.
6. Judeo-Christian values established a framework of morality which permitted our system of limited government.
7. The United States must maintain a nuclear arsenal that is safe, reliable, modern and numerically superior to those of potential adversaries.
8. Efforts to bring Islamic law (shariah) to America pose a threat to our country and its Constitution.
9. U.S. disarmament entailed in President Obama’s defense budget cuts will endanger our national security.
10. Pure democracy is the best form of government to ensure the safety and equitable treatment of all citizens.
11. Who has the primary responsibility to be sure children are properly educated?
12. Should abortion be allowed under extenuating circumstances? If so, what circumstances?
Life of the mother
13. Based on the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, please arrange the following entities, starting with the highest source of authority, and continue the list in descending order of authority, skipping any that do not apply: Academia, Congress, Constitution, God, Industry, Media, Professional Sports, Supreme Court, Voters.
God, voters, Constitution, Congress/Supreme Court
14. What in the nature of mankind caused America’s Founders to carefully define, separate, and limit powers within the Constitution?
The recognition of human nature--that people having too much power would lead to tyranny.
15. Please list your educational, military and vocational history, and any church and civic leadership positions held, and political positions held or sought.
MA Degree, Public Address, 1968 BA Degree, Psychology, 1965 BD Degree, Bethany Lutheran Seminary, 1975 Farmer, 1981 to present Professor, 1968 to 1982 MN State Representative, 1983-1988 Adjunct Professor, 1995 to 2010 Candidate for MN House, 1990 Endorsed Republican Candidate for Governor, 1994 Blue Earth County Chairman, Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life, 1980 to 1982
16. What charitable, educational, religious, or political organizations have you been affiliated with as a member, contributor, or volunteer?
Member: Minnesota Farm Bureau, National Federation of Independent Businesses, Gun Owners of America, Minnesota Corn Growers, National Rifle Association, St. Peter Chamber of Commerce, Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life. Contributor and Volunteer: EdWatch Political: Republican Party of Minnesota Nicollet County Republicans Minnesota First Congressional District Republicans State Chair: Gary Bauer for President, Pat Buchanan for President, Phil Gramm for President
17. Please list the six (6) most important endorsements you have received from groups or individuals.
Republican Party endorsement for State Legislature in 1982, 1984, 1996, 1988, 1990; Republican Party endorsement for Governor in 1994; Michele Bachmann for First District Congress, 2012.