- Panelists are local (if available) volunteers selected after a Leadership Survey and a check of references.
- They include men and women from all walks of life who are dedicated to helping people vote wisely.
After reviewing the data, panelists place each candidate in a category indicating what kind of voting record that candidate,
if elected, would likely receive from a multi-issue organization that scores on economic and social issues.
Unless a candidate already has a legislative voting record, this is subjective;
the source data is provided, so voters can more easily make their own evaluation.
Panelists put each candidate into one of these categories, according to their confidence in the candidate's future voting record:
- Very Conservative: At least 95% confident the candidate will vote conservatively
- Conservative: 85 - 94% confident the candidate will vote conservatively
- Somewhat Conservative: 70 - 84% confident the candidate will vote conservatively
- Moderate: Less than 70% confident the candidate will vote either conservatively or liberally. Candidates fall into this category if there is not convincing evidence to classify them as either conservative or liberal.
- Somewhat Liberal: 70 - 84% confident the candidate will vote liberally
- Liberal: 85 - 94% confident the candidate will vote liberally
- Very Liberal: At least 95% confident the candidate will vote liberally
The sources of information considered by panelists are listed in descending order of importance:
- Legislative voting records if the candidate has recently held office
- Financial contributions by the candidate to legislators with voting records
- Contributions from and to the candidate, in that order
- Endorsements by conservative and liberal groups
- Candidate Survey – less important because it represents promises rather than demonstrated action
- Statements on the candidates’ websites
Contribution Records from the Federal Election Commission and state election agencies below:
Legislative districts from Cicero, a product of Azavea.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Azavea. All rights reserved.
Name matching by PeacockData2.
Copyright © 2011 Peacock Data, Inc. All Rights Reserved.